Prosciutto and Rocket Pizza
Pizza this good is hard to come by and it’s so simple and quick, particularly with my little pizza oven. If you have the dough already made in the fridge (I generally keep some aside when making bread with my bread maker), it’s quicker and easier than making a couple of sandwiches. The dough actually improves if made 2 – 3 days ahead. I love the prosciutto and rocket topping but you can use whatever topping you like.
Makes 2 large pizza bases
200ml l warm water
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cups bread or plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 level tsp salt
Topping for 1 large pizza:
3 tsp tomato paste (puree double concentrate)
3 tbsp grated mozzarella
4 slices prosciutto
1 bunch rocket leaves
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil:
- Place all dough ingredients in the recommended order in the pan of your bread machine. Switch on and let the machine knead only until you have a smooth dough, about 3 minutes once all the ingredients have come together. (Dough that is well kneaded for bread making is too elastic to roll out). Keep an eye on it and add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky or a little more water if it looks too dry. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Leave the dough in the pan to rise until it is about double in volume, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- If you don’t have a bread making machine, mix the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and knead until smooth. Cover with a damp tea towel and place in a draught free place for about an hour until it is doubled in size.
- Refrigerate the dough until required. Punch it down regularly until it is cold when it will stop rising.
When you’re ready to make pizza:
- Heat the pizza oven to maximum or a pizza stone in a conventional oven at maximum temperature for 15 minutes or until very hot.
- Roll out the dough to the desired thickness, dusting with flour to stop it sticking.
- Slap the dough onto the pizza stone, working quickly spread the tomato paste over the top, sprinkle over the cheese and close the lid or place stone back in oven.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes in the pizza oven, and about 10-12 minutes in a conventional oven.
- Transfer pizza to a large plate, slice into 4 sections. Top each section with a prosciutto slice and some rocket.
- Drizzle with oil and serve immediately with sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper.